“Quite frankly, Peter Hamilton is the smartest guy there is about the
whole business of unscripted television.”
Paley Center for Media, New York
“Documentary Business is indispensible for network buyers and producers.”
‘No single website contains more information about license fees than Documentary Business.”
International Copro Keynote Panel at Sunny Side of the Doc
Welcome to Documentary Business, since 2010 your free guide to the ever-changing business of unscripted television.
I’m Peter Hamilton. Born in Melbourne, based in New York, and serving clients worldwide.
Whenever I spoke at industry conferences like Real Screen, attendees lined up to express their thanks that someone was giving them ‘the hard facts’. Their gratitude evolved into the mission of this blog.
TEDx Traverse City MI
Most multi-billion dollar markets – and that is the scale of today’s Factual niche worldwide – enjoy professional analysts who report on commercial practices and trends.
Our sector has lacked that kind of service to date. I’m working to fill the gap, one post at a time.
Documentary Business relies on my database, collected during 30+ years of service to clients in our industry, and updated almost daily in conversations with friends who are producers, network executives and experts. We also rely on a variety of publications, conference proceedings, and so on.
We almost never break news stories. Our editorial tone is always respectful of the professionals who work in an intensely competitive industry.
My initial focus was on U.S. networks and platforms:
- Their development processes for Documentary and Reality programs
- Budget ‘sweet spots’ for commissions in various genres and formats
- Analysis of their slates of new series and specials
- Their preferred producers. I then expanded to publish Case Studies that carried lessons for producers and channels.
So why am I giving away such valuable information in Documentary Business?
- Because it is my experience that sharing information in the digital economy expands networks and creates opportunities.
- These include consulting and speaking engagements, sales of special studies, sponsorships, and so on.
We don’t know where this effort is leading, but one thing is for sure –- Documentary Business has made headway because we offer a service that throws light on the business of our booming business..