The four-part Sky Original docuseries Juan Carlos: Downfall Of The King was named Best Docu-series 2023 at the Berlin TV Series Festival.
We covered in detail how Beetz Bros created their €2.5 Mn production:
Producer and co-writer Christian Beetz, co-director Anne von Petersdorff
The jury of TV SERIES FESTIVAL 2023 commended Juan Carlos: Downfall Of The King “for its captivating storytelling and bold approach to the genre. The docu-series provides a gripping exploration into the life of Juan Carlos, offering a balanced perspective that avoids hagiography and embraces the qualities of a compelling film.”
“With a wealth of exclusive and colorful testimonies, including one from his former mistress, combined with unexpected plot twists, this series stands out as a remarkable and thought-provoking portrayal of an extraordinary character – GREAT storytelling.”
- Premiered on Sky UK on 18 July.
- Is now selling worldwide.
- Celebrated its world premiere in competition at the Cannes International Series Festival CANNESERIES.
- German premiere was at DOK.fest München
- Read more here.
Why It Matters: Peter’s Takeaway
- Juan Carlos ticks a lot of boxes: True Crime, Royalty, Celebrity, Illicit Romance and more.
- The political nature of the story attracts audiences interested in investigative reporting.
- This big budget European production that underlines my key recent message: “while funding is under pressure in North America, Europe continues to generate opportunities for qualified documentary productions.”
- THE CLEANERS An Anti-Case Study from Beetz Bros: A $1.3 Mn Investigative Documentary Premieres at Sundance. Faces Deep Deficit