Young UK viewers made a dramatic turn to streamer services like Netflix during Covid.
That’s the key Takeaway from a report from the BARB ratings agency on TV set usage in April ’20 versus April ’19.
For Kids and Adults 16-34:
- Their time spent watching the channels remained quite steady.
- Time spent watching Netflix and other unrated streamers increased by around 50%.
- And each demo spent more time watching streamers than channels.
- UK Adults 45+ are still overwhelmingly loyal viewers of the channels.
- Though they, too, are expanding their use of streaming.
- The chart elegantly confirms the global swing to Netflix and the streamers.
- Watch out for my report from Parrot Analytics that scoops up internet data to calculate the relative engagement of viewers in programs.
More on UK Hits and Trends
- See my post listing the Top 100 UK Factual in the COVID Era.
- My UK History Top 25 is published here.
- And Top 25 UK Wildlife and Pets/Lifestyle
- Read my Sunny Side interview notes with BBC History buyer Simon Young about his strategy and three programs that capture the trend in Covid times and beyond. Simon is responsible commissioning 70-80 hours / year.