Here is a breakout of the Top 25-rated UK History programs in 1H 2020.
- Read my interview notes with BBC History buyer Simon Young at Sunny Side, including his insights concerning A House Through Time
- And see my post capturing the Top 100 UK Factual in the COVID Era.
Still from Channel 4’s VE Day in Colour
UK Broadcast Audience
Top 25, 1H 2020
|1||BBC 2||A House Through Time||3,816||17.5|
|2||ITV||Captain Tom’s War||2,876||14.4|
|3||BBC 2||Back in Time for the Corner Shop||2,600||12.7|
|4||C5||Princess Anne: The Daughter…||2,163||12.0|
|5||BBC 2||Villages by the Sea||2,085||10.7|
|6||ITV||Our Queen at War||2,078||9.2|
|7||BBC 2||Keeler, Profumo, Ward and Me||2,022||13.7|
|8||ITV||Return to Belsen||2,017||8.3|
|9||BBC 2||Belsen: Our Story||1,709||6.6|
|10||BBC 2||Little Ships – The Miracle of Dunkirk||1,628||9.7|
|11||C4||VE Day in Colour: Britain’s Biggest Party||1,457||6.4|
|12||C5||Portillo’s Empire Journey||1,450||5.5|
|13||C4||Secrets of Egypt’s Valley of the Kings||1,396||5.4|
|14||C4||Lost Pyramids of the Aztecs||1,387||7.1|
|15||C5||The Yorkshire Steam Railway: All Aboard||1,360||6.1|
|16||C5||King George VI: The Accidental King||1,350||7.5|
|17||C5||Tony Robinson’s History of Britain||1,348||6.8|
|19||C5||VE Day: The Lost Films||1,344||6.2|
|20||C5||Queen Mary: How She Saved the Royals||1,327||7.9|
|21||C5||Princess Margaret: Rebel Without a Crown||1,302||8|
|22||C5||The Royals: A Family in Crisis||1,298||6.9|
|23||C5||Royals in Wartime||1,295||5.9|
|24||BBC 2||Dig WW2 with Dan Snow||1,295||6.9|
|25||C5||Royals on Tour||1,279||5|
Notes on the Data
- The ‘000 P4+’ column refers to viewers 4 years and older in thousands.
- Share refers to the program’s share of television sets in use at that time.
- The data refers to highest single episode in a series.
- The categories come from BARB, and titles are sometimes incomplete.
- A friend sent this comment on Food trends during COVID and pointed to its relevance to television entertainment.
Tasting on Familiar Foods: During the outbreak, many consumers are seeking comfort and familiarity in the pantry. Thirty-seven per cent of UK consumers are revisiting dishes from their childhood in lockdown (Co-op, 2020). Traditional quick-fix packet desserts have also seen an uptick – including a 336% increase in custard powder sales (Co-op, 2020).
- On the other hand, the combined audience for the BBC and ITV programs on the Belsen concentration camp does capture the UK viewer’s interest in the toughest of subjects.
- And the “Land & Country” theme that I described in my Top 100 Takeaways is picked up here with multiple stories that showcase British heroism.
- The Royals are not making waves in the Top 100, but they are subjects of eight of the Top 25 in the History list.
- Don’t miss my interview notes with BBC History buyer Simon Young at Sunny Side. Includes his insights concerning A House Through Time
- Read the Top 100 UK Documentaries and Lifestyle, 1H 2020
- And the Top 25 Wildlife / Natural History programs
- And don’t miss my Sunny Side Interview on Channel 4’s strategy: What do they want? What do they pay?
Footage.net is the sponsor of our continuing coverage of archive-based programs, including Case Studies.