Graphic retrieved from Nielson
Nielsen’s Gauge for December, reveals several very interesting findings:
Streaming Trend: Full Year
- Streaming continued its reign as the top category, capturing 38.1% of total TV usage,
- Streaming usage gained 10.4 share points climbing from 27.7% of total TV usage.
Peacock Breaks Through
- Peacock made its debut in The Gauge this month, with a 1.0% share of TV.
- Viewing on HBO Max climbed by 18.1%—the largest usage increase across all named streaming platforms — and represented 1.4% of total TV consumption.
- Netflix and YouTube each lost one-tenth of a share point vs. November, finishing at 7.5% and 8.7% of television, respectively.
- Hulu usage was down 11% in December, which translated to 3.4% of TV.
- Broadcast and cable viewing declined (3.7% and 2.4%, respectively).